Alberta Indigenous Virtual Care Clinic
Vision and Mission Statement:
We envision a world in which all First Nation, Inuit, and Métis people have achieved full and equitable access to the conditions of health including: ancestral pride, cultural and language reclamation, peace, shelter, education, food, income, a stable environment, land and resources, social justice; and health services, where the gifts and wisdom of First Nation, Inuit, and Métis cultures are recognised as valuable, distinctive, and beautiful. (Ongomiizwin – Health Services 2017)
To do our part in achieving this vision, we aim to provide accessible, culturally safe and medically appropriate care to any self-identifying Indigenous persons and their families in Alberta through the Alberta Indigenous Virtual Care Clinic.
- Provide timely and appropriate access to health care services.
- Ensure quality of care and continuous improvement.
- Build strong relationships with the goal of achieving improved health outcomes.
- Support and promote development of new knowledge as determined and directed by the community.
- Teach new learners and foster continuing professional education.
- Safety – We commit to providing culturally and clinically safe care & wellness of clients and communities
- Listening – We commit to listening openly and without judgement to our clients/families/communities and all members of the health care team.
- Compassion – We commit to compassionate and caring service delivery and providing a welcoming environment to our clients.
- Respect – We commit to reducing barriers (physical, language, cultural, etc.) that may limit the use of our services.
- Humility – We commit to supporting and responding to our client needs in a non-judgemental manner, respecting the inherent right of the individual to self-determination and seeking to understand that good health may look different to different clients.
- Transparency – We commit to being transparent and accountable to our clients, staff, partners, and funders.
- Accountability – We commit to preserving ethical behaviour, providing safe and competent care and upholding quality assurance requirements to maintain facility, professional, and practice standards.
- Learning and innovation – We commit to innovation, creativity, and being open to explore approaches and evidenced best practices.
- Linkages – We commit to working with the client’s current care team and fostering connection with a primary physician available in their geographic area if possible
- Evaluation – We look forward to the opportunity to evaluate our services to inform chances for improvement and reinforce our successes.